I had the chance to see Jonathan Adler speak at my local library. Awesome, right? He talked about his new book series Happy Chic, how he launched his career, a sneak peek of his new products, his design aesthetics and views of his NYC apartment and other projects. There was a reception and book signing after the presentation, but I had to step out afterward to get home to a hungry baby. Here are some of the things he talked about:
- when you enter a room: what are you trying to have the room say? Keep it clean but add pops of color. And make sure there is a design palette. He loves the color orange.
- Everyone needs a little glitz–add some gold
- You can never go wrong if it’s something you really like
- In his living room, he decided to put a ping-pong table in it instead of a sofa that would never be sat on. He made the ping-pong table with plywood and then wallpapered it. It was my favorite room in his house.
- Next best thing in design? Needlepoint and animal-inspired pottery.